Monday, February 6, 2012

Colin's Kinder Korner: the 100th day of Kindergarten!

Colin and the rest of SSE celebrated the 100th day of school on February 1st. This is a HUGE event for Kindergarten! We celebrate every 10th day of school and have a super hero named ZERO the HERO.


So every 10th day, Colin and I would talk about ZERO and what she/he taught them that day! The most exciting 10th day of all is the 100th day!
Colin's school sent home a few home assignments for the 100th day and we were happy to participate! We were to make a t-shirt with 100 items on it. Yes, 100 ITEMS ACTUALLY ON THE SHIRT! There was a lot of brainstorming goin' on around here and we finally came up with 100 wiggle eyes. Mommy glued them in Zero shapes (also known as circles), in groups of ten (per request of Colin himself). And as you all know, Ava had to be involved 100%. She "chose" 100 ladybug spots for her shirt. The morning of, she counted them in the cutest little voice! (I have a video and will upload it soon). We finished the shirts with days to spare so we took a few pics before the big day!


Colin's other assignment was to count 100 items for a collection and bring it to school for an in-class project. Once again, there was a lot of discussion...we went from pennies, to toys, popsicles, puzzle pieces, to (finally) skittles. If you know Colin AT ALL, you are NOT surprised that he chose some sort of candy. Mommy...the Kindergarten teacher...helped C sort and count his collection. This was another fun activity to assist Colin in! When he was finished, he counted the skittles by 1s and 10s several times and ate 23 a few in between. (I also have a video of him but it's on the regular video camera.)


Mommy was able to spend some time at SSE's 100th day of school! I am so happy that I was able to attend such a fun day and spend time with Colin and his classmates! His teacher set up her classroom in 10 different 100th day stations for the students to rotate around. Colin wanted me to stay with him every step of the way but I volunteered for the estimation station and had to walk to the different Kinder classes and guess which bag had 100 items in it. The stations were in 10 minutes intervals so I was able to work with my group then have a few minutes to be with C at each of his. He was so excited about the 100th day stations/party!  


As you entered the Kinder hallway, there was this sign! What a great spot for pictures!
(Mommy made a 100 ladybug shirt too!)


When Colin came home from school, Daddy and I had a surprise waiting for him to celebrate his 100th day of school! He spotted it from across the kitchen and ran to the table. He loved every part of his gift...especially the 100 coins! He counted them over and over to make sure there WERE 100! I guess he didn't believe us. He was happy to see the 100 on his cake, the Stampede, and the 100 piece puzzle. He was even more excited when I reminded him that the horses were for the Stanley Stampede. :) Ava dove in ate the cake and also enjoyed reading Happy 100th Day! for the bed time story of the night.


I can't say it enough...I was so so so happy that I was able to spend such a special day with my favorite 6 year old! I hope the memories are with both of us forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment